The Floor Sanding Experts Are Now Mr Sander®Learn More ➔
Posted on May 5, 2023
Hardwood flooring is a popular choice among homeowners for its natural beauty, durability, and versatility. One of the key factors contributing to the appeal of hardwood floors is the wide range of finishing options available, allowing homeowners to customise their floors to match their personal style and preferences. In this blog post, we will delve into the world of hardwood floor finishes, exploring surface finishing, top coat options, and techniques for achieving a truly customised look. We will also discuss the process of floorboard sanding and its role in updating and maintaining your hardwood floors.
Surface finishing, or staining, is the process of applying a pigmented solution to the wood surface to alter its colour and appearance. Staining is often used to achieve a variety of purposes, including:
However, it is essential to approach wood staining with caution and consideration, as not all wood species stain equally well. The resulting colour may not always be as desired and may even take on unwanted hues, depending on the wood species and stain used. Additionally, to truly emulate a specific wood species, it is crucial to choose a base wood with a similar grain pattern.
Following surface finishing, a top coat is applied to seal in the colour and provide protection against everyday wear and tear. The most common options for top coats include:
a. Water-based urethanes: Water-based urethanes are low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), making them a more environmentally friendly option. They also dry faster than oil-based urethanes and provide a clear, non-yellowing finish.
b. Oil-based urethanes: Oil-based urethanes typically offer a thicker, more durable finish than water-based urethanes. However, they have a higher VOC content and take longer to dry. Oil-based urethanes also tend to turn amber over time, giving the wood a warm, golden hue.
Floorboard sanding is the process of abrading the surface of your hardwood floors to remove the existing finish and prepare the wood for a new finish application. This process offers several advantages, including:
To ensure a successful floorboard sanding and refinishing project, consider the following tips:
1. Hire a professional: While some homeowners may be tempted to tackle floorboard sanding as a DIY project, hiring a professional is often the best choice. Professionals have the experience, tools, and knowledge to ensure a high-quality result with minimal disruption to your living environment.
2. Prepare the space: Before the sanding process begins, remove all furniture, area rugs, and any other items from the room. It’s also a good idea to seal off doorways and vents with plastic sheeting to minimise the spread of dust throughout your home.
3. Choose the right finish: When selecting a new finish for your hardwood floors, consider factors such as durability, maintenance requirements, and the desired aesthetic. Consult with your flooring professional to determine the best finish option for your specific needs and preferences.
4. Allow for adequate drying time: After your hardwood floors have been sanded and the new finish has been applied, it’s essential to allow for adequate drying time before moving furniture back into the space or walking on the floors. Drying times can vary depending on the type of finish used, so consult with your flooring professional for guidance.
5. Plan for regular maintenance. To keep your newly refinished hardwood floors looking their best, plan for regular cleaning and maintenance. Sweep or vacuum regularly to remove dust and dirt, and damp mop as needed using a cleaner specifically designed for hardwood floors. Additionally, consider applying a protective maintenance coat every few years to maintain the floor’s appearance and prolong its life.
Hardwood flooring offers numerous customization options through surface finishing and top coat applications, allowing you to achieve the perfect look for your home. By understanding the various finishing options available and following proper maintenance practises, you can ensure that your hardwood floors remain beautiful and durable for years to come. Don’t be afraid to explore the world of hardwood floor finishes and embrace the flexibility and versatility they provide, giving your living space a truly personalised touch.
We provide virtually dust-free sanding with our continuous belt machinery with mobile extraction units, giving you a safer environment for your family.
This organic finish not only adds beauty to your home but also has exceptional water-repellent characteristics, making it easier to clean and maintain.
This natural floor finish offers the softest and most mellow appearance – and leaves your floor able to breath.
Using soft buffing machines (and hand-polishing where required) will bring a wonderful sheen to your newly-finished floor.
We offer a full assessment of your wooden floors to determine what repairs are needed to provide the perfect working surface for the later stages of sanding, staining and sealing.
We offer a comprehensive restoration process designed to address floors that are improperly fitted or damaged over time through wear and tear.
Simply enter your postcode below to get started.